Sacred Heart Cathedral is where we come together to worship, teach and serve; where East Tennessee comes to pray.
This is a historic moment in the life of Sacred Heart Cathedral Parish and the Diocese of Knoxville. We have a special opportunity to build a cathedral that will serve as the center of worship not only for our parish, but for the vibrant and growing Catholic community in East Tennessee.
With the cathedral project, we will also address our need for meeting/social and educational space. To address these needs, we are launching the Home campaign. Home is not just a place where we feel welcome, accepted, and comforted. As Catholics, whether it is our own personal home, our parish home, or our diocesan home, it is where we come together to worship, teach, and serve. We are confident that by working together we can reflect these values by addressing the priorities of this campaign.
The success of the Home campaign will depend on your prayer, time, and generous hearts. We invite you to join us and your brothers and sisters in making this a transformational moment in the history of our Catholic Church in East Tennessee.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Most Reverend Richard F. Stika
Bishop of Knoxville
Very Rev. David A. Boettner, V.G.
Rector, Sacred Heart Cathedral
To Worship, Teach, and Serve…
Our vision begins with building a new cathedral, a place of beauty and transcendence which will serve us well now and in the future. In addition to the cathedral, budgeted to cost $25 million, the project will also include improvements across the campus that will address our need for education, meeting, and social spaces.
Did you know?
While we aspire to glorify God through our worship, we plan to continue our work to help the poor. The Diocese of Knoxville provides over $6 million in ongoing charitable services to the poor and marginalized every year. Over the next 5 years, we will have spent more on charitable initiatives than we will have spent on the building of the cathedral.
The project will include the following:
- A new sacred worship space which will be both beautiful and timeless and will serve the needs of our parish and our growing diocese for generations.
- 5,000 sq. ft. of additional education space in addition to other improvements to our school.
- Nearly 15,000 sq. ft. of new gathering and social spaces, including the renovation of the current church into a new meeting center.
- A new road, bridge, parking, and circulation plan with additional campus site work to prepare for future elements of the overall master plan for the cathedral campus and school.
- Our vision begins with the building of a 25 million dollar cathedral. The project will also include improvements across the campus that will address needs in education, meeting, and social spaces.